Friday, July 19, 2013

Mapping San Juan, Batangas

Since losing my phone and eventually getting it back last June, I haven't had the chance to go back to San Juan, Batangas to try and gather GPS data again. So I looked for other ways to get geo information that I can use to do mapping. I am unable to map directly into Map Maker because Google Maps hasn't updated their satellite imagery of San Juan yet and all you can see is a blur.



I searched for more recent and higher resolution satellite imagery of San Juan and I hit the jackpot: TerraServer, a website that provides free access to online satellite imagery and corresponding geographic coordinates to match. You would have to buy the images if you like hi-res copies, but I only need a guide for mapping.
A well of information. This is the border of barangays Pinagbayanan and Poctol in San Juan, Batangas.



Going for the next best thing, I started laying out coordinates of roads in Google Maps, which I would use as an overlay in Map Maker. A lot of work, but at least I'm getting somewhere.
Manual work.

After days of tracking back roads and rivers, a better picture of San Juan is coming up. Before I started, Google Maps only had the national highway and the San Juan-Laiya Road mapped out. Now, barangays, small roads and some rivers are already added. I still have a long way to go.

Looking good so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment